Crystal Light - Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the guild CrystalLight on Tanda (Rappelz).

Anika Noni Rose, Disney’s first black princess

ivyivy

Anika Noni Rose, Disney’s first black princess Empty Anika Noni Rose, Disney’s first black princess

Post  ivyivy Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:36 am

The Dreamgirls and No1 Lthe simpsons dvd box set adies... actress battled prejudice and ignorance to play the heroine of The Princess and the FrogKevinfamily guy dvd box set Maher

When Anika Noni Rose was told in 2006 that she was going to be the first black heroine in the history of Disney the simpsons dvd animation she was ecstatic. For the 37-year-old actress, singer and Dreamgirls star, the role of Tiana,disney dvd set the cartoon disney dvd box setprotagonist of The Princess and the the office dvd box setFrog, was, she family guy series dvdsays, the dream of a lifetime.

Almost immediately, however,how i met your mother series dvd disaster struck.all disney dvds African-American commentators and bloggers reacted with horror to the movie’s proposed storyline — a poor black waitress disney box setin pre-civil rights New Orleans must dodge a local voodoo-practising villain andthe simpsons dvd box set marry a visiting white prince. The Haitian-American fashion designer Shirley Bruno said that she was “shocked”South park dvd collection by the very idea, while Washington-based Black Entertainment Television declared the entire project to be “not only offensive and disney dvd box setignorant of history,disney dvd collection but highly insensitive as well”disney dvd set. The first black heroine in Disney animation, they warned, would be the public face of adisney dvd racial travesty.

“There were a lot of untruths that 70s show dvd box setfloating how i met your mother series dvdaround at that time,” disney collectionsays Rose today, beaming with the gentle equanimity of a particularly happy Zen Buddhist. In a tiny sleeveless lemon-yellow top and tinier miniskirt, she poses her petite frame and fantastically tonedfamily guy dvd box set limbs perfectly on the edge of the sofa in a Central London hotelfamily guy dvd room. She speaks with the serene and smiley positivity of someone who is enlightened about the inner workings of the Universe, or at least on her way. “I didn’t concern myself with all that background trauma because, frankly,family guy dvd box set people were upset about something they hadn’t even seen yet,the office dvd box set” sheall disney dvds continues calmly. “But I also knew that the history of animation has not treated people of colour in a positive light. And during it all I felt that once people saw how the movie was actually made, with so much respect and sodisney dvd box set much love, then their feelings would disney collectionchange.”

And indeed, though the basic storythe simpsons dvd remains, the finished Princess and the Frog is far from a corporate race-hate vehicle. Instead, its all-singing heroinedisney box set Tiana, voiced with Broadway-South park dvd box setstyle finesse by Rose, is a strong-willed feminist who is initially repulsed by the callow arrogance South park dvd collectionof the visiting prince (Bruno Campos). The latter is racially non-specific, called Naveen, andCurb your enthusiasm series dvd comes from the exotic kingdom of Maldonia. And, yes, there is an evil voodoo-practising villain called Dr Facilier (Keith David), but he’s a deliciously vivid character, sings the movie’s best tune (family guy series dvdFriends on the Other Side), and is no more offensive than, say, Peter O’Toole’s supercilious restaurant critic in Pixar’sSouth park dvd collection Ratatouille.

Mostly, however, the film is a family-friendly adventure in the classic Disney mould, while the role of Tiana was ultimately deemed so desirable that heavyweights such as Beyoncédisney dvd collection and the Oscar winner Jenniferfamily guy dvd Hudson allegedly auditioned for it. “I’m sure they did,disney box set” Rose says openly. “Everybody did. But it wasn’t something how i met your mother series dvdI paid attention to.”

The Princess and the American dad dvdFrog, she says, landed right in the middle of a “visiball disney dvdsility bump” for her, thanks to the acclaim she garnered for playing Lorrell Robinson, the singing sensation and lover of Eddie Murphy’s Jimmy Early in Dreamgirls, and for her television role as the smartdisney dvd set but diffident Grace Makutsi in The No 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. She says, incidentally, that although Murphy was extremely private and shy offfamily guy dvd box set camera, their scenes together were another ball disney dvdgame. “It was like suddenly being in a Williams sisters final at Wimbledon. You’the simpsons dvd re hitting the ball at 125 miles an hour, but you know it’s coming back atdisney dvd box set 150!”

Her career before that, she South park dvd box setexplains, was a hard-grafting the office dvd box setlitanydisney box set of theatre parts and Broadway musicals, during which she moved fromfamily guy dvd San Francisco to New York, barely survived on unemployment cheques, and eventually snagged a Tony family guy dvd box setaward for playing a resilient Southern maid in the musical Caroline, or Change. Despite the obvious sdisney collectiontruggle she claims that she never once had any doubts. As the daughter of a lawyerthat 70s show dvd box set growing upfamily guy dvd box set in Connecticut, her stage life began, she says, in near mystical circumstances. At 14 she auditioned on a whim for a high-school disney dvd setproduction of Fame,married with children dvd box set but once she began her first solo as Coco Hernandez, everything changed. “It was a shocking thing,” she says. “There was silence in the auditorium. Nobody knew that I was such a good singer. But I knew rall disney dvdsight then that I had to do this for how i met your mother series dvdthe rest of my life.”

At the moment she lives inSouth park dvd collection New York, with or without a partner married with children dvd box set(“My private life is private,” she says, still smiling calmly), but nonetheless nurtures long-held singing ambitions. And although she has already recorded three soundtrack albums and is currently composing a modern musical, family guy series dvdshe is impatient to be recognised as a singer in her own right. “I’d love for someone to say, ‘Hey, we believe in you, let’s make this happen!’ ”

In the meantime,American dad dvd there’s alwaysdisney dvd collection a movie career to develop. Although,disney collection with nothing slated to follow family guy dvd box setThe Princess and the Frog, she says that even that can be tough. “I feel like I’m still climbing there,” she says, with a hint of gloom. “I’m still saying, ‘Hey! Hi! Don’t you want to use me?’ ”the office dvd box set She stops, catches the mood on South park dvd box setthe cusp of negativity, and quickly shrugs herself family guy dvdback into the light, beaming once again. “But I’m very lucky. I’ve found the thing thatthat 70s show dvd box set makes me shake. disney dvdI’m secure in what I do! And how many people canCurb your enthusiasm series dvd say that?”

The Princess and the Frog is released disney box seton Jan 29

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am